Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Kickin it Old Skool


Homer Simpson dreams of the day donuts fall from the sky; I imagine the day cereal rains down from above, as if it were a contemporary form of manna. It’s no secret that I am infatuated with the sugary goodness cereal has to offer. In my mind a special part of the food pyramid should be sectioned off for this staple food source. Alright you get the just of it, I digress.

The news I have to offer is that General Mills is releasing retro cereal boxes. The boxes will be sold strictly at Target retailers; the promotion will also include t-shirts, available on-line for five proof-of-purchase labels. I assume they are running the promo to encourage at the very least a short term spike in sales. While this may be a clever way to push their product, General Mills is potentially sacrificing brand equity. Doing so by making the packaging so similar to cheap imitators and store brands. Some experts feel that during these economic times consumers seek comfort and nostalgic packaging is one way to provide it.

I am curious to see whether or not this nostalgic packaging promotion becomes any sort of a trend. Perhaps instead they should revive some old cereals like Brenda’s Kaboom....

3 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

You always did love your cereal Dan !

Carol Sue said...

I could not eat a bowl of cereal if my life depended on it so Dan you buy up all you can get at Target....
I bet Brenda wishes Kaboom would make a comeback

Brenda Lee said...

I'm going to have dreams of Kaboom falling from the sky tonight..

Your blogs are awesome Dan. You've got skill!